Who We Are
The Moyer District Library is located at 618 S. Sangamon Ave, Gibson City, IL. The Moyer District Library provides free services to all residents living within the GCMS School District boundaries, including the villages and surrounding areas of Gibson City, Elliott, Sibley and Foosland. This exludes Cheney's Grove Township residents in the Saybrook area. Peach Orchard residents in Melvin and surrounding area are required to get a card from their local library to check out materials at Moyer District Library. All Heartland libraries patrons' can also use their card at Moyer. All unserved areas can get a library card for a fee of $110.00.
A Moyer District Library card also allows a patron the use of all public library services within the Illinois Heartland Library System and access to materials from other libraries nationwide.
The library holds over 42,000 materials including books, audio cds, dvds magazines, and newspapers. We also have ebooks and e-magazines available for check-out.
In addition to these items, hundreds of people entered the library to utilize print and electronic reference resources, access the Internet through the Library’s fiber-optic connection, enjoy state-of-the-art Wi-fi service, participate in computer and Internet training, view a Library exhibit, or attend one of the Library’s many events.
Our friendly and professional staff is eager to serve you. Welcome to the Public Library!
Moyer Districy Library fosters the excitement of learning and the pursuit of knowledge and discovery by making books and library services available to all, providing knowledgeable personal assistance through the complex information environment, offering children a world of endless possibilities by promoting the joy of reading and learning, enriching people's lives by offering books and other materials to inspire and entertain, providing a public resource to support our patrons' quality of life, and by offering a welcoming public place for both community interaction and individual pursuits.
History of Moyer District Llibrary
The first public library in Gibson City was established in June 1876, known as Gibson City Library Association. The first stack of books was housed in Dr. Water's office, a building in the same block in which the current facility is located.
The library occupied various commercial sites until a permanent facility was built through the generosity of an early Gibson City settler, Mr. William Moyer, who donated $14,000 to the City of Gibson in 1911. At that time, the Gibson City Library Association turned its inventory over to the newly-named Moyer Library.
A lot on the northwest corner of Sangamon and 10th Street was purchased for $4,400 and the first permanent library building was constructed on that site (also its current site). This building was condemned by the state in the 1950's and city officials sought voter approval for bond issues to finance a new library building.
The new building was completed and opened in 1962, following final approval of a bond issue in 1961. During construction, the library operated from the VFW building at its current site on the northeast corner of Lott Boulevard and 7th Street.
By 1975, a children's library was added to the new library's lower level.
The facility's most recent remodeling took place in 1998, with financial support from the Friends of Moyer Library and the Illinois Secretary of State's office.
In November of 2000, a referendum was passed to become a District Library.
On April 11, 2011 the Moyer District Library opened at its new location, 618 S. Sangamon Ave. The library is now fully wheelchair accessible, has a local history display area and a program room that can be rented out to business and free to non-profit groups.